Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Three Little Birds


Happy Birthday, Bob Marley! Listening to your song Three Little Birds inspires me yet again. Every little thing is gonna be alright.
As I checked my text messages when I got off from work, I had one from my mom. This text included a picture of my baby brother receiving his first round of chemotherapy. Wow. Those are words I never thought I would have to say. At 9:15pm this evening, my brother received chemotherapy. The word “chemo” never fails to put me on the verge of tears as I think to myself that Mason does not deserve this. I think about how of all of the people in the world, it had to happen to him. Before I get too upset, however, I am reminded by Mr. Marley that every little thing is gonna be alright.
Mason’s strength over these past few days has astounded me. I honestly think he might be in better shape than I am over the whole situation… The picture with Mason receiving his first chemotherapy treatment showed him laying on his bed with one hand by his side and the other holding his phone, casually as if nothing was going on. As if he wasn’t receiving treatment for a disease no one ever thought he could have had. I am reminded that God gives his toughest battles to his toughest soldiers. Mason never fails to inspire me, as I am sure he is inspiring all of you. I never thought that my younger brother would be teaching me so much. 
Over the next ten days, he will receive chemotherapy every day. The doctors want to go at his leukemia aggressively, to rid his body of the cancerous cells as soon as possible. If anyone has seen his tweets, he proudly told all of his followers that he doesn’t know why anyone is praying for him because the leukemia is going to have a harder time than he is. When he told me that everyone is saying his tweets are inspirational, I told him that he was an inspirational kid. He almost tried to argue with me, but then he said that he had been feeling inspirational lately. I’m sure everyone knows why he has become my role model. I physically look up to Mason; he stands about six inches taller than me, and I now look up to him because of his message of hope and courage.
Mason has three little birds singing to him every day. Though the battle will be tough, those birds will be singing. They will be there to remind him that every little thing is gonna be alright. Happy Birthday, Bob.

2 comments:

  1. You never seize to amaze me with your writings Kenz. That was awesome, as was the last one and the ones before that. Mason is a true soldier. The definition of a hero. He's got more strength, courage and bravery in his pinky than most of us have in our entire bodies. I am blown away at all the love and support from everyone. Thanks to everyone for supporting my awesome little cuz and my amazing family. Love you Mason. You got this buddy! XXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to Mason last night, well we were texting...he is in good spirits and I, too, am inspired by his courage...No complaining, no moaning, no feeling sorry for himself...just strength...you go Mason.

    ReplyDelete