Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's the Little Things


Who used to collect Webkinz? They were seriously the greatest things ever. I remember Mason and I used to be obsessed with them. The other day when I told him I was bringing him a present (the amazing cookies from Wegmans’ bakery, what else…), he thought it was going to be a Webkinz. To his dismay, it was not, but he still got really good cookies so I think he was okay. That was the first night I visited him in the hospital. That night he told me that he wants a Webkinz for every big event (or even small ones too probably). He said that he wanted to name them something special that would relate to whatever he experienced that day.
On Sunday, he had his first real tests done, and he was sedated for the entire procedure. In other words, he was knocked out. I got a text from my mom before he went under, and apparently Mason was going on about how he wanted the first one to be named “Knockout,” which is self explanatory. As I looked for a Webkinz that would fit the name Knockout, I spotted a little bulldog. Does it get more perfect than that? Bulldogs are tough looking and strong. Almost as strong as my little brother.
Before going to the hospital that day, I got a text from Mason saying “I wonder what kind of Webkinz Knockout is ;)” and of course I played dumb. I told him there was no Webkinz. He said he was hurt, and when I got to CHOP I could tell he wasn’t happy that I didn’t arrive with Knockout. Later when he admitted to being upset that I didn’t bring him, I threw the little stuffed animal at him. The look on his face was pretty priceless.
It’s the little things that count in life. If a small stuffed animal with a significant name can put a smile on my brother’s face and provide some comic relief then yes, I’m going to buy as many as he wants. I can’t wait to see what other crazy names he comes up with. I guess I’m just left to pick out one of the countless different Webkinz that fits the name he chooses. For now I’m just going to picture little Knockout. When I think of that little guy, however, I won’t be thinking of my brother sedated getting tests done. I’ll be thinking of the tough little guy who I have the strongest faith in. I’ll be thinking of his leukemia; the leukemia he’s going to knock out. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep fighting the fight!! I know you will definitely beat this, just keep your head up and keep on smiling����

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Webkinz!! In fact, it was you guys that bought my kids their first ones!! When they hold them (which they still do) we think of you all. They couldn't wait to open the mail and read the letters you would send them, and couldn't wait to see what Webkinz was next to arrive.
    Mason, we are sending you all of our love. We think of you every day, and pray for you every night! We know, you are going to beat this!!!!
    Keep strong, you are amazing!

    Much Love,
    Natasha, Frank, Frankie, Iliana, and Lyla

    ReplyDelete