Thursday, February 7, 2013

MY Little Birds


Today I had the honor of meeting of another amazing person today. On Monday, I told a teacher about my brother, and she mentioned that not only was there a girl in the 8th grade at my school who was also recently diagnosed with leukemia, but she also had a sister. I realized that I had to meet her.
This morning, I was introduced to Caroline, a 6th grader at Notre Dame. Caroline’s older sister, who is about Mason’s age, was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on December 14, 2012. Like Mason’s diagnosis, it was hard on the family. As I sat and listened to Caroline talk about her sister Kaitie, I couldn’t help but realize she probably has the same amount of admiration for her big sis as I have for my little brother. Caroline and Kaitie, on the other hand, share a bond that Mason and I do not. Caroline referred to herself and her sister “chemo buddies.” Like her big sister, Caroline is also going through chemotherapy. Her chemo, however, is for arthritis, not cancer.
I listened to Caroline talk animatedly about medical words and procedures and all of her different “-ologists.” The first time she went under general anesthesia was when she was 7 years old; it was at this age when she was diagnosed with her arthritis. Since then she has become very familiar with all of the different medical terms and procedures, and she knows exactly what’s going on. It’s because of her experience that she was able to so quickly absorb what was going on with her sister.
It is at this time when I can’t help but feel awfully sad. Caroline is only 11, and her knowledge of medicine is far more advanced than that of any other 11 (almost 12) year old that I know. It makes me sad to know that she has learned so much because of the path that she has gone down.
Caroline is such a happy, optimistic girl, and I’m trying to take from that. Her high spirits were so inspirational. It was Caroline who I thought of when I watched Mason get chemo tonight. I sat there as the nurse hooked up an IV bag with his treatment. Never in my life have I wanted to cry more than at that moment. It is still so unreal to me that all of this is happening. It hurts me so much to watch him go through that regardless of the fact that he says he feels fine and acts like someone, somewhere along the line screwed up and he’s actually healthy. I know how important family is in times like these and that’s why I didn’t cry. Mason has been so strong and when I think of him and add in images of my new little friend Caroline, I am strengthened. Their hope and courage is on an entirely different level.
As you keep my baby brother in your prayers, keep Caroline, Kaitie, and their family in your prayers as well. These three kids are all so very resilient and positive that it’s impossible for us to feel anything but optimism. They’re my three little birds; the three little birds reminding me that every little thing is gonna be alright. 

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I am reminded that I should read your blog BEFORE I put on my makeup..Thanks Kenzie, you, too, are becoming an inspiration to me....

    ReplyDelete