Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hero


Slumber party part two! Last night I slept here by myself with Mason, and tonight I get him to myself again!
Last night his cough was worse than ever, and his hair has also been falling out a lot. What he actually does now is pull it out by himself since it’s already pretty short. He doesn’t seem too upset about it though. As long as he has his eyebrows, he says he’ll be okay. Last night we decided that it’s not a lack of hair that will make a person look weird or different; it’s the eyebrows. With this in mind, he pulled hair out threw it at me. When I yelled at him for using it like confetti, he simply responded, “It is confetti!” Party for two at CHOP? I think yes.
Since I don’t have work tomorrow we’re having a scary movie marathon throughout the night while I make some bracelets and write thank you cards to all of the donors helping to reach our $3,000 goal for Team Orange! For those of you wondering, I did start a team on Salesianum’s THON donation site. The link to our team is https://www.beposfdn.org/Sallies2013/SelectATeam.aspx?TeamSelected=NBI70478590. While we already have 80% of our goal, we definitely don’t want to stop once we reach it. These donations go to childhood cancer research and the families of those affected by childhood cancer that are in need of financial assistance. B+ is an amazing foundation that does incredible things, and we want to support it in any way possible.
Just like the B+ foundation, Mason spreads the message of his blood type as well: be positive. My mom says that he’s been eating too much junk, and my dad thinks he’s getting lazy, but he’s happy. I’m definitely to blame for the excessive candy eating. I always bring his favorite candy for him when I come visit. Tonight my mom told him he couldn’t have any of the new candy I bought him unless he got a salad or ate something healthy with dinner. He ate the salad then told my dad that his hemoglobin is so low that he doesn’t have any choice but to be lazy. Evidently he’s kept his sense of humor and wit.
As said by Nicholas Colleluori, “Make use of the time you have and don’t stress the little things. Have a smile and enjoy what you can get out of life.” With that, I’m off to make use of the amazing time I’m about to have with an amazing kid. I know how lucky I am to have such a great inspiration in my life, a hero. You never truly appreciate the heroes you have in your life until you realize that they are there. Whether that hero is inside of you or it is found someone else, I hope that you can notice whoever it may be and recognize and value him or her for who and what they are.


3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the hair Mason. But I definitely agree, baldness isn't as bad as no eyebrows. Keep up the good work staying strong Mason! Have fun tonight with the scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can we send donations? Can the Nevadomski Family get a few bracelets? We are all one family. We support Mason and The Abate Family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Mike, I'll make sure to try and get you all bracelets.

    ReplyDelete