Thursday, February 21, 2013

More Beautiful Than Diamonds


            Hello Everyone! It’s Mason. I’m doing fine, thanks for asking! Today I learned some pretty sad news, don’t worry too much, though. I’m starting to lose my hair. So I was brushing my teeth and my head started itching. I scratched it and slowly, hair began to fall slowly into the sink. As I saw the hair slowly fall into the sink, I realized that it reminded me of something. My blood levels. This awful disease has a good side. Wow, no one saw that coming. My blood and hair are significant for the future. Things may fall, like my hair and blood levels, but they will rise again. My hair will grow back, eventually. My blood levels are gonna rise, eventually. So right now, I consider time as one of my best friends.
            As I mentioned time as being one of my best friends, I thought of something that one of my (if not my) best friends said a while ago. He said “Wow, your hair is thin, you’re going to be bald at a young age.” Wow. I guess he was right! Obviously I know he didn’t mean it like this, but God has a funny way of telling you things.
            Last week I came to know that my dad likes to sing the song Diamonds by Rihanna. That’s a pretty necessary song for this situation. Even though us cancer patients don’t have hair, we’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky! He may not know all the words but it’s really funny when he sings it.
            Tomorrow, some people may know, Malvern has its baseball tryouts. I’d really do anything to be there and to be able to tryout just to represent my school playing baseball. Malvern is the best school I could be at in this situation. I must thank Mr. Talbot, Father Flynn, and all of the Malvern faculty for starting to develop a more 21st-century education. Starting next week (hopefully) my classes are going to start to be streamed directly to me, or something along those lines. This will make everything I do here at CHOP much easier. It will take all the weight off of my back of being scared to miss too much school.
            I’m getting a little sleepy, so I think I’m going to go to bed. Goodnight to everyone reading this, and I wish the best to all of you. And to all trying out for Malvern baseball tomorrow, good luck and stay strong for #21.
            In the wise words of St. Augustine, “Patience is the companion of Wisdom.” All we can do is wait now, and that is the wise thing to do!

3 comments:

  1. It's great to hear from you, Mason. Especially since you seem so optimistic and are always seeing the positive side of everything. I couldn't agree more with the song comparison. Nice song choice, Uncle Frankie! Keep fighting and standing strong, Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mason, sorry about the hair falling in the sink...at least you are not that upset about it..I love you and think of you every minute of every day...By the way, you still have more hair than your dad...LOLOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing, Mason! Keep standing strong. We love you.

    ReplyDelete