Monday, February 4, 2013

Footprints in the Sand


            For the past week or so, we’ve been talking about psychological disorders in my Ethical Issues in Science class. Today specifically the subject was schizophrenia. This is a very debilitating disease that has not only a very great effect on the patient, but the patient’s family as well. Just like other psychological disorders, the relationship between the family and the patient becomes so strained eventually leading to the estrangement of the patient from his or her family. Who would do that to someone so sick? Wouldn’t they realize that their family member is in need of the support of their family?
            It’s moments like these that I realize how lucky we are. Mason has the strongest support system in the world: his family. Morgan, all the way down in North Carolina, you’re here with us in spirit. To all of my family members who also can’t be here, we’re thinking of you. For now, however, he has the four of us. My parents’ strength has been inspirational, as has Parker’s. To say that this entire ordeal has brought us closer would be an understatement, which is hard to believe because we were a close family to begin with. We’re in the beginning stages of the entire thing, and Mason just needs our support.
            If you look to the right, you will see a media player. I encourage you to hit the play button and listen to the entire song. Take in the lyrics when you get the chance. It reminds me of a story that goes like this:

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life. This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.
“Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don’t understand why when I needed you the most you would leave me.”
The Lord replied, “My son, My precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.”

            Not only are God’s footprints visible in Mason’s new orange sand, but also there are my mom’s, my dad’s, Parker’s, Morgan’s, and mine. His beach is scattered with the footprints of everyone who’s here for him, those who promise to always be there for him when his heart is filled with sadness and despair. It seems that the only footprints we can’t see are Mason’s. He’s being carried by all of us. 

3 comments:

  1. This was beautifully written. Parker and I just read this in my office and I will look for updates as they come. Mason, your sister is right about your tremendous support system carrying you through this. Also, I have a feeling your positive spirit and natural strength will also help you:)

    Ms. Wuetig

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are...xoxo Ms. France

    ReplyDelete