Monday, February 4, 2013

Support


               The outpour of love and support brings tears to my eyes and hope to my heart. The only problem is that what this extreme show of love and support does is leave me speechless. That becomes an issue when I have a blog in which I need to write . . .
            My thoughts are completely mixed up, as this whole thing still seems like some dream and definitely not reality. One constant thing running through my mind, however, is my faith. I guess a lot of the time people have trouble dealing with hard things because they lose faith; they blame God. You can’t do that. Who do you have when you give up like that? Yes, the people down here on earth are nothing short of incredible people, but they cannot compare to the people we have watching over us. When things get tough, I always remind myself to have faith in those people. It gives me strength to see Mason smiling and laughing and being himself. It gives me strength to know that I not only have all of our family and friends on our side but God as well.
            Though Mason’s diagnosis has definitely not been easy (on anyone), we have so much to be grateful for. The love everyone has shown surpasses anything beyond my imagination. The support everyone is giving and the help of all kinds that has been offered takes my breath away. We’re lucky that we have the support system that we do. We’re lucky that we live in the right city with the #1 Children’s Hospital. Big shout out to CHOP and all of the doctors and nurses here, especially Tiffany. She’s my brother’s favorite. I think that what I’m most grateful for tonight, as I sit and write, is the fact that tonight we got some great news. We got the full picture of Mason’s leukemia tonight. The cancerous cells are not in his spine. Chemotherapy starts tomorrow. His form of leukemia is very treatable. He’s happy and will be healthy again.
            Please continue with your prayers, everyone. You have no idea what it means to my family and myself. Thank you so very, very much. 

4 comments:

  1. Mason, I'll be home soon I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all here for you bud. Stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mason,
    I just learned a little bit about you. I wish you didn't have to go down this path, but you sound like a real tough kid. For what it's worth, I'll be praying for you and will be asking for prayers for you on our websites.

    As your sister said, you're very fortunate to be at a very, very good hospital. It's a long road, but please take it one day at a time...or sometimes, one ten minute period at a time.

    Did I hear correctly that you go to Malvern Prep? I had the honor of speaking at MP about childhood cancer a few years ago. Gotta be honest- sure wish I was talking about something else. My son had cancer.

    If you and/or your family need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out. Our Foundation does 2 things - funds childhood cancer research and helps families of kids with cancer in any way we can. We're here for you, pal! You can email me at joe@livelikeandrew.org.

    B+ (Be Positive...my son's blood type)

    Andrew's Family
    www.BePositive.org
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/andrewmcdonough

    ReplyDelete
  4. A message from Father Flynn.....

    Mason is a trooper. Always was and always will be. I know that the treatment will be tough, but it is no match for a person with Mason's resolve.
    I shared a very important quotation from the Bible with Parker this morning. It is from St. Paul's letter to the Romans: "For those who love God and are called in His plan, everything works out for the good." (Rom 8:28).
    Mason, I don't believe that God chose that you have this happen to you. It just did. Matter is like that. But now that it's happened, God is working closely with you, your family, your friends, and the staff at CHOP to bring an incredible good out of it. I have come to believe that with all my heart and soul. I have seen it over and over again. It might take awhile, Mason, but I believe that one day, you will see it to.
    Fr. Flynn

    ReplyDelete