Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I didn't even ask him to!


Surprise! It’s Mason. Wow, well today was an awesome day. Yesterday, my platelet count was at 15, today it went up to 32! Some of you may read that and say, “Oh cool, it rose by 17, big deal.” Well yeah, it’s a big deal. A huge deal actually, to me. I got so excited when I heard that news; even my nurse was excited for me. I just wanted to throw a party just for that little increase. Wanna know why? Because that’s a start. That’s all I need. For every start there has to be a finish, and I know my finish will be when all of my counts going up and me getting to go home for a little.

Home. That one word means so much. No, it’s not just that house you live in. It’s the things in that house, and that includes everything. From the nice TV to just the rug in your family room. I miss everything at my home so much, I can’t really put it into words. I would just ask everyone reading this to do one thing for me, don’t taking anything for granted. I know I did, not anymore though. This whole situation did change me and it will continue to.

While we’re talking about it, this situation did change me, never in a bad way though. When we sat in the waiting room for around an hour on February 1st I was scared but then again, who wouldn’t be? Doctor calls, he’s ready to see us. We go back to a small room to hear the bad news. Dr. Ben Oshrine, some others may know him as the “Bearer of Bad News” but jokingly, of course. There were some tears but not drawn from my eyes. BAM! I hear that Big C and didn’t even stop to think about the negative things in my future. Can only be positive from here. Yes, tears help you get all of your emotions out, but I don’t think they’re necessary. To me, tears just make things worse. In a case like this tears are contagious. You start crying and most people near you can’t help but cry. Being positive is why I am doing so well. You think about one negative thing and everything else seems negative. Well, that wouldn’t be good. If you’re positive on the other hand, everything seems like its going the right way (another reason why that bump in platelets is so monumental). A lot of people think of Cancer as just a terrible thing, which it is, but when it’s all said and done, I’m going to look back and thank it. I can’t liethis thing made me so much stronger (and a little more popular, too).

I know I haven’t mentioned him, but wow he is playing such a big role in this. I don’t mean to sound like Ray Lewis here because mine is a little more sincere (sorry Ravens fans) but I’m going to take this time to thank God. I’ve heard this question a couple times already, “Do you ever ask yourself, why God, why me?” No. Not once. As simple as can be. God has a plan and I know it’s all going to work out. I’m a big believer in everything happens for a reason. Just like I said, if you think of that combined with all the positives, everything really starts getting better. Am I right? Some people have told me that I’m very strong with all of this going on. I couldn’t be this strong without the Big Man up in the sky watching over me. So this is where I’m going to wrap it up. It’s not bed time yet but I wish you all a great night and more to come.

In the wise words of St. Augustine, “Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.” Have a great night everyone and remember, B+!

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you Mason!
    I found a quote recently that seems to fit. "If God puts you battle, he'll see you through it. He knows you can." It's wonderful news to hear about your platelet count. You're pushing through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome progress, Mason! Keep up the great work increasing your numbers! And thanks for reminding me -- all of us who read this blog -- how important it is to appreciate home. Sometimes we forget, and we shouldn't. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you again, Mason! You're making such good progress. We are all so proud of you for staying positive, as well as improving your platelet number. And you are right, it's always such a good thing to be optimistic. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mason. You have a way of putting things in perspective. Last night my two daughters were driving me crazy. They kept fighting and arguing with each other. After reading your post this morning, I want to go upstairs and hug them. Thanks for making my day. Keep up the good work buddy.

    Mr. Wass

    ReplyDelete